In June 2011 the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced that data from studies looking at patients using Actos (generic name – pioglitazone) for diabetes treatment for an extended period of time (longer than a year) revealed an elevated risk for developing bladder cancer.
The Actos lawsuit bladder cancer claims allege that the drug manufacturer was negligent in several ways including but not limited to:
- Represented that Actos caused minimal side effects while knowing that there was an Actos bladder cancer link in some patients more than represented
- Had actual knowledge or should have known through studies, that using Actos for an extended period of time increased the risk of bladder cancer
- Had actual knowledge or should have known that the risk of Actos bladder cancer in patients who used the drug was greater than disclosed risk in packaging warnings for Actos
- Failed to investigate the accuracy of its Actos label once it became aware of signals indicating a safety issue
- Failed to monitor all relevant scientific literature related to Actos side effects cancer
- Failed to conduct and report post market safety surveillance on Actos
- Actos was not reasonably safe as designed because the foreseeable risks involved in its use outweighed the therapeutic benefits of the drug
In June 2011, the FDA approved a revised Actos medication label that updated certain patient warning information regarding the higher risk of developing bladder cancer for patients using the drug for longer than one year. In addition, the new label warning included information for patients who have a history of bladder cancer or currently have bladder cancer stating that they should not be prescribed Actos.
Actos is available in several different prescription forms including:
- Actos (pioglitazone)
- Actoplus Met (pioglitazone/metformin)
- Actoplus Met XR (pioglitazone/metformin extended-release)
- Duetact (pioglitazone/glimepiride)
Accutane Lawsuit Settlement Bladder Cancer 2011 Claims
We represent all clients suffering from Actos bladder cancer problems on a contingency basis which means that there are never any legal fees unless we win compensation in your case. For a free no-obligation consultation please call toll free or fill out our short online contact form and an Actos lawsuit bladder cancer attorney will contact you to answer any of your questions.